Saturday, May 2, 2020

The Main Project Altruistic Donation

We voted remotely (in April 2020, during the Coronavirus Pandemic) to donate $200 to Deontrae Maefield and his Main Project.

There was resounding agreement that we approve this donation.  Deontrae preferred donations of actual supplies from his list of suggestions, rather than cash, so Karen placed the order, picked up the supplies and brought them to Deontrae. Then we all received this follow-up email, so we would all know the lovely result of our altruism.

She wrote:

Dear ADK Sisters, 

I thought that you might like to know something about the details surrounding our donation of $200 to Mr. Deontrae Mayfield and The Main Project.  First of all, I hope that you were able to look at the list, that Terri sent out, of food products purchased with the monies. Because I enjoy shopping, and saving money, I tried to purchase the largest quantity and best items for the lowest prices.  Luckily, everything I ordered, except one item, was available.  Walmart substituted a similar product at the same price for the one that was unavailable.  Considering the unavailability of so many items nowadays, I felt that we were quite lucky.

Walmart made picking up the food easy and safe.  I watched as a young man pulled a flat cart stacked with blue plastic containers, sitting shoulder height, out to my vehicle. Now, I have shopped for my family and spent $200 or more, but to see what our $200 bought was amazing. When the employee had completed unloading all the food into my SUV, it was packed 2 layers full!  I felt that the back end of my car was definitely sitting lower to the ground.

Mr. Mayfield met me at his place of business, Project Restoration on Taylor Ave.  I asked if he had a cart or a dolly or some extra help. He looked confused, not realizing what was all in my car for him.  He was astounded at the size and generosity of our donation.  He explained that each week the donations were a different "theme" or emphasis. This past week targeted infants.  He and his volunteers
were filling laundry baskets with Pampers and other infant related needs.  He was thrilled to have our donation in order to fill future week's themes.       

These have been a lot of words to tell you what occurred this past Tuesday morning, but I wanted you to know how proud I was to be a part of ADK that morning.  We do so much good in our schools and our community to help young people and those who care about them.
Mr. Mayfield is the son of Wanda Mayfield, who is a teacher and was Susan Barbee's guest at our Founder's Day event this past October.  She would be a great asset to our group.  As another benefit of our donation, I think that Mr. Mayfield may encourage his mom to consider joining our ADK chapter!

I look forward to seeing many of you later this month on our Zoom meeting.  Until then, Happy May Day!  Enjoy the beginnings of the Spring season while you stay safe and healthy. 
Karen